[ltp] wife router access

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:12:23 -0400

> From: Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:44:21 -0700
>
> Haines Brown wrote:
>
> > What's a "preshared key? Is it necessary, and if so, where would I get
> > it? I could, I suspect, assume the risk of No encryption and get around
> > this stumbling block, but would prefer not to.
> >
> > Haines
>
> the preshared key will be the password that is set on your wifi router
> and for wep access it will be required in order to connect.  I'd suggest
> at first, disable wep on your router, then see if you can connect and
> get a dhcp reply.  Once you have that working, enable wep, then you
> should be able to do iwconfig wlan0 key "s:yourpasswordhere"

Thank you, but you grossly underestimate my ignorance :-(

First, I have no router. Well, not quite, for there's a router with my
wifi modem connected to my desktop, but I'm not connected to it. I've
picked a local AP (using wifi-radar) to configure. I assumed that no
router would be involved.

   # wifi-radar
   [I selected an AP to configure]
   Mode: Managed
   Channel: auto
   Key: [ what key?]
   Security: open

   No WPA
   Automatic network configuration (DHCP)
   Connection commands:
      Before: [leave blank?]
      After: [leave blank?]

  I click "Connect".

Then # iwconfig:
    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    DHCP discover on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4

   # ifconfig wlan0 up

   # ifconfig
   wmaster0 no wireless extensions
   wlan0  ...
   	  [No "UP"]
	  Link quality=70/100
	  Rx invalid nwdid:0 ...

If I were using a router, what would be its password? With a desktop
machine, I have a modem router, but don't believe I set any password
for it .

How would I know if I  got a "DHCP reply" The ifconfig wlan0 command
above did not offer any inet address line, and so should I assume I've
got no DHCP reply?

I assume that without WEP, no password is involved, and in the
wifi-radar dialog above, and with "No WPA", I assume I could leave the
Key text area empty.

Should iwconfig report "no wireless extensions"?

Should I aim for there be a line in # ifconfig for wlan0 saying "UP"
and reporting an inet address?

Haines Brown