[ltp] Tightening hinges on Thinkpads

Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:49:36 +0200

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:22:09AM +0000, Ted Frater wrote:
> however you should never open any laptop with one hand. youll eventually
> crack the lcd. always use 2 hands.

That's interesting.  This is what IBM says (or used to say):

  ThinkPad notebook covers are engineered with =93smart latches=94 that make
  the cover easy to open =97 even with one hand.  Two latches are
  controlled by a single slider that enables you to open both latches
  with one hand in a single operation. The latches themselves are
  considered =93smart=94 because they are designed to keep the cover in the
  open position when activated to open. The latches will not close with
  the weight of the cover, they require moderate downward force. This
  enables you to first open the latches single-handedly with one slide
  control that works both latches, and then lift the cover with the same
  hand. Some other single-latch cover designs do not accommodate this
  easy opening of the latch and lifting of the cover.=20

        -- http://www-03.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/comfort.html

My T23 had two latches with this feature.  Newer Thinkpads I've had
have only a single latch on the cover.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.
                -- Eric^2 on Slashdot

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi--