[ltp] A very interesting non-IBM battery seen on the train

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:58:20 -0400

On my commute home from Manhattan on Friday, I sat with a young man who
was working on an X41 tablet, trying to get a new USB GPS working on his
development machine.

What struck me odd about his machine however, was this VERY different
looking non-IBM battery sticking out of the back of his unit.

He had the battery slice below the X41, but out the back was... what can
only be described as the equivalent of a 12-cell battery. It extended
out of the back of the X41 by at least 3 inches. I asked him if that was
the stock 9-cell battery and he said that it wasn't, and that he picked
it up from some third-party battery company.

It was clearly NOT an IBM product (had some rubberized feet and edging
on it with some patterns that IBM would never carve into their product
like that).

Does anyone know what this beast could be? I didn't ask him to pull the
battery out so I could see the manufacturer or the model number, but it
was at least 1" deeper than the 9-cell that is in my T61p.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com