[ltp] Thinkpads with two external screens?

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:18:51 -0400

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Evgeni Golov <sargentd@die-welt.net> wrote:
>  >  I was wondering, if it is possible to drive recent Thinkpads (T61p
>  >  e.g.) with two external screens (one on the VGA port, one on the DVI of
>  >  the dock)? Of course the internal LCD have to be disabled then.
>  >  Has anyone tried this? (Or could do so?)
>
>  Works just fine on radeon based thinkpads.

It doesn't work on my T43 with Radeon X300 running Fedora 8's Xorg 6.8.0.
I can enable both DVI and VGA using xrandr 1.2, but at any given time
only one output actually works; the monitor attached to the other
output reports an invalid refresh rate.
Starting from LVDS-only:
- Enable VGA, disable LVDS, enable DVI --> only VGA works
- Enable DVI, disable LVDS, enable VGA --> only DVI works
So it behaves as if only the 2nd CRTC is wired to the VGA and DVI ports.

  Shem