[ltp] The mystery of missing RAM

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:31:44 -0400

Today I received the RAM upgrades for my two new Thinkpads (T61p/X61s).
I popped the RAM into both (the T61p was significantly harder and
required disassembling the keyboard bezel).

The problem is that the T61p only recognizes 3,033M or 3,043M of RAM,
even when I force 4096M in the grub configuration.

Windows XP on the X61s, as expected, only sees 2.99M of the 4GB total
RAM amount.

The T61p has a discrete (non-integrated) graphics adapter, so the RAM
isn't being stolen as fake "video RAM".

Where is 1,063M or 1,053M of my new RAM going? I could certainly use
it.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com