[ltp] Re: The mystery of missing RAM

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:07:28 +0100

David A. Desrosiers schrieb:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 18:51 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Lossage on the 32-bit platform.  Try the "server", "big iron" or a 64
>> bit kernel and you should be happier.
>
> None of these helped. I'm booted to 2.6.24-12-server right now as I type
> this, and I see:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux galaeus 2.6.24-12-server #1 SMP Wed Mar 12 23:34:17 UTC 2008 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> $ grep PAE /boot/config-2.6.24-12-server
> CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
>
>          total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:      3041        975       2065          0          0        672
> -/+ buffers/cache:    301       2739
> Swap:     5119          0       5119

Unortunately this semms to prove what some forums said: Lenovo actually
delivers a BIOS that disables the hardware's PAE capabilities. (as
opposed to some Dell machines with the same electronics)

As of the discussion who steels RAM, the only hardware doing so could be
an onboard GPU using shared main memory.

I guess you have tried a BIOS upgrade? (sorry if I missed that in the
discussion)

To use all 4 Gigs, a 64bit kernel/distro should help, for testing
puposes a live CD pervents you from forced reinstallation.

Regards Christoph