[ltp] ibm-acpi brightness problems on the X60

Hasso Tepper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:24:33 +0200

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2007, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> > If I boot without acpi enabled and run into single user mode I can use
> > FN-F7 to switch forth and back between LCD and CRT. This is not possible
> > any more as soon as the acpi kernel module is activated.
>
> Known issue.  It works in that way on purpose.  Lenovo wants the OS to take
> care of these things if it is an OS capable of it.  We happen to agree with
> them, there :-)

Do you happen to know how exactly this decision is made - whether an OS is
capable or not? AFAICS it decides so even without thinkpad and/or video acpi
modules loaded, so it must be something generic in acpica?

with my best wishes,

--
Hasso Tepper