[ltp] System hang when viewing videos

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:07:34 +0000

I've been experiencing complete lockups when viewing some videos or DVDs.
Not all video formats are affected, but I've not been able to make any
judgement as to which work and which don't. Even ones that work will
usually freeze the system if run full-screen.

I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy with all updates on a Thinkpad T60p with ATI
Mobility FireGL V5250.
Using the ATI (radeon) driver - built off git as of 2008-03-06.
Hang happens using mplayer and Movie Player. Usually the screen just
freezes and sound loops, everything locked solid. SysRq special keys
don't work, the only cure is power-off reboot. Sometimes the mouse
continues to move but nothing else!

I suspect ati driver / hardware incompatibility that's only exposed with
movies. Anyone else suffered this.

Thanks
Phil