[ltp] System hang when viewing videos

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:35:24 -0400

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Phil Shotton <phil@stairbridge.org.uk> wrote:
> I've been experiencing complete lockups when viewing some videos or DVDs.
>  Not all video formats are affected, but I've not been able to make any
>  judgement as to which work and which don't. Even ones that work will
>  usually freeze the system if run full-screen.
>
>  I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy with all updates on a Thinkpad T60p with ATI
>  Mobility FireGL V5250.
>  Using the ATI (radeon) driver - built off git as of 2008-03-06.
>  Hang happens using mplayer and Movie Player. Usually the screen just
>  freezes and sound loops, everything locked solid. SysRq special keys
>  don't work, the only cure is power-off reboot. Sometimes the mouse
>  continues to move but nothing else!
>
>  I suspect ati driver / hardware incompatibility that's only exposed with
>  movies. Anyone else suffered this.

If you are using the recently added textured video adapter, you may
run into issues with the MMIO path on r5xx.  Grab and install the
latest drm sources
(http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/drm.git;a=summary).  If the
driver is using the CP path, textured video should work pretty well.
I haven't gotten a chance to debug the issues with the MMIO paths yet.
 Also, you'll probably want to update xf86-video-ati as well if you
want to use textured video.

Alex