[ltp] continuing problems with CF cards in a PCMCIA adapter

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:34:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Chris Schumann <chris@idlelion.net>
>> I haven't tried CF recently, but I do have a SanDisk PCMCIA 6-in-1
>> reader (SD, MS, etc) and it does work in my T60, T42, T41p and 600X.
>>
>> CF did work in my 600X.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Interesting.  If this is something that plugs into the PCMCIA slot in a
> T60, it would probably be useful to see what the /var/log/messages or
> dmesg output is when it is plugged in, to see why it is different from
> my experience.

I'll try to get to that soon. In the mean time, I now remember having
trouble with this same reader and a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card. SanDisk
tech. support told me the reader only works with devices up to 1GB in
capacity. It caused me a lot of problems.

I could format it to 2GB in my PDA or using a USB reader, but when I used
it in the PCCard reader, it appeared corrupt, and would only see 1GB of
capacity. It would format and work fine as a 1GB device.

Chris