[ltp] any successes with 2.5 inch laptop-IDE-drive USB enclosures?

Kiko Piris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:35:23 +0100

On 26/03/2008 at 14:23 -0400, John Lumby wrote:

> Does anyone have any positive experiences of any 2.5inch usb enclosure
> successfully accessing a variety (or any recent) 2.5 inch IDE drives
> on thinkpads of this type?    Or anyone know of any problems or fixes
> or other relevant information?

I=E2=80=99ve used some of them. My experience is that some laptops do not
provide enough current on the usb port and a second usb cable (the power
one that comes with those enclosures) is required.

For example, I have a conceptronic that works fine on my T60 but
requires the usb power cable on my brother=E2=80=99s R52.

Also I=E2=80=99ve seen some enclosures requiring the usb power cable depe=
nding
on how good was the usb data cable used (on the same computer, of
course).

HTH

--=20
Kiko