[ltp] any successes with 2.5 inch laptop-IDE-drive USB enclosures?

Pablo Vera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:24:54 -0600

--------------070809060508060803030206

This is the one I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/for-IBM-2-5-USB-2-0-Laptop-Hard-Disk-Case-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ360037072365QQihZ023QQcategoryZ31534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pablo

John Lumby wrote:
> Thanks for the rapid replies on this.     So clearly the unanimous
> opinion is the power supply.
>
> *Kiko Piris  wrote
> >  *...some laptops do not provide enough current on the usb port and
> a second usb cable (the power one that comes with those enclosures) is
> required.*
>
> Pablo Vera wrote:
> *
> > Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rating for the drive ?
>
> Yes, both the ones I tried came with y-cables and I plugged each into a separate usb port
>
> > One USB port = 500 mA
> > Two USB ports = 1000 mA = 1 Amp
>
> (but whether those two ports running together can draw combined 1 Amp may be questionable?)
>
> The power ratings of the two drives I tried are :
>
> old 30GB drive - 1Amp - and this one worked (could read ptn table)
> new(er) Toshiba 40GB - 0.8 Amp - failed to read ptn table
>

> *Christian Nilsson wrote:
>
> *
> > However some times you have to get a external power supply
>
> I asked the guy in the store where I bought them (and returned both) specifically that question, as the instructions
> with the machines were very vague about whether or not needed, and he assured me that the two usb cables
> would be sufficient and there was no possibility that lack of power was the explanation.
> And since the 1-Amp drive was working, I thought that supported that theory.
>
> > the enclosures you are using are found and is available thru /dev/sd? ?
>
> Yes, drive visible and its manufacturer and attributes reported correctly - just no partition table.
> I will buy another enclosure together with power supply and see how I do with that.
>
> If anyone has tried several and has any recommendation on which is a good one (reliable), I'd appreciate hearing.
> Also if any controller manufacturer is better than others?
> Also - for the power supply - is that 5V 1 amp or is it recommended to use an even higher power?
> (I remember the instructions for one of them gave a spec but now I don't have those)
>
> Thanks all,   John

> You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN Autos.
> Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW! <http://g.msn.ca/ca55/210>

--------------070809060508060803030206

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
This is the one I have:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/for-IBM-2-5-USB-2-0-Laptop-Hard-Disk-Case-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ360037072365QQihZ023QQcategoryZ31534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/for-IBM-2-5-USB-2-0-Laptop-Hard-Disk-Case-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ360037072365QQihZ023QQcategoryZ31534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a><br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">

Pablo
</pre>
John Lumby wrote:
 type="cite">
 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
unanimous opinion is the power supply.<br>
  <b>Kiko Piris&nbsp; wrote<br>
&gt;&nbsp; </b><font size="3"><span
 style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,Monospace;">...some laptops do
not provide enough current on the usb port and a second usb cable (the
Pablo Vera wrote:<br>
  </b>
  <pre>&gt; Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rating for the drive ?

Yes, both the ones I tried came with y-cables and I plugged each into a separate usb port

&gt; One USB port = 500 mA
&gt; Two USB ports = 1000 mA = 1 Amp

(but whether those two ports running together can draw combined 1 Amp may be questionable?)

The power ratings of the two drives I tried are :

old 30GB drive - 1Amp - and this one worked (could read ptn table)
new(er) Toshiba 40GB - 0.8 Amp - failed to read ptn table

  </pre>
  <b>Christian Nilsson wrote:<br>
  </b>
  <pre>&gt; However some times you have to get a external power supply

I asked the guy in the store where I bought them (and returned both) specifically that question, as the instructions
with the machines were very vague about whether or not needed, and he assured me that the two usb cables
would be sufficient and there was no possibility that lack of power was the explanation.
And since the 1-Amp drive was working, I thought that supported that theory.

&gt; the enclosures you are using are found and is available thru /dev/sd? ?

Yes, drive visible and its manufacturer and attributes reported correctly - just no partition table.
I will buy another enclosure together with power supply and see how I do with that.

If anyone has tried several and has any recommendation on which is a good one (reliable), I'd appreciate hearing.
Also if any controller manufacturer is better than others?
Also - for the power supply - is that 5V 1 amp or is it recommended to use an even higher power?
(I remember the instructions for one of them gave a spec but now I don't have those)
  </pre>
Thanks all,&nbsp;&nbsp; John<br>
  <hr>You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN
Autos. <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://g.msn.ca/ca55/210"
 target="_new">Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW!</a></blockquote>

--------------070809060508060803030206--