[ltp] any successes with 2.5 inch laptop-IDE-drive USB enclosures?

Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:33:05 +0100

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:23:20 -0400, John Lumby wrote:

[...]

> Does anyone have any positive experiences of any 2.5inch usb
> enclosure successfully accessing a variety (or any recent) 2.5 inch
> IDE drives on thinkpads of this type?  Or anyone know of any problems
> or fixes or other relevant information?  I've lost my first battle
> but would like to make a comeback ...

My girlfried uses a Western Digital Passport 160 GB. It comes with a
very short USB cable, and the documentation states that this is
intended, and longer cables can lead to malfunction (due to higher
electric resistance I guess).

It worked so far when connected directly to the computer or to a
powered hub. It didn't work when it was connected to a non-powered hub.

Regards,
Tino