[ltp] How to get rid of the delay on power button key events ?

Jens Rutschmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:03:51 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 28.03.2008 23:30:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
>> It took my quite some coincidence to figure out that one has to press it
>> for (half) a second or so until both ACPI and keypress events are
>> triggered. In fact I was frustrated when it was still not working when I
>> was trying 2.6.25-rc7 and so I kept my finger on it while running
>> "input-events" - pure luck.
>
> No such luck. That's how it is supposed to work, and you can't tell the BIOS
> to work otherwise.  The only thing I've seen a brief touch do is to wake the
> box up, but that's about it.

OK, thanks for the info.

>> I'm always afraid of holding it down to long and switching the machine off thereby.
>
> The difference from soft power off to hard power off is above EIGHT seconds,
> there is no need to be afraid.

That's good to know. I had those "kill-the-machine-after-4-seconds" settings
from my desktop BIOSes in mind. Did not know that there is so much difference
between the power off methods in thinkpads.