[ltp] T61 brightness control - partial solution

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:41:42 +0300

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:23:59 -0400
"Jimmy Wu" <jimmywu013+linux-thinkpad@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:46:12 +0100

[... snip ...]
> >  I have read on some mail group that someone managed to get hibernation to
> > work with nvidia using dummy xserver. I didn't try that one yet, other
> > methods didn't work for me. [...]
>
> If you find that mail group post, please send me a link - I'd be very
> interested in trying it.
> Thanks.
>
> As for suspend to ram, mine works as well, but I have a suspicion that
> the xscreensaver lock screen timer is still going in the back ground
> even while suspended. If I suspend to ram and wake up shortly after,
> my computer comes right back to where I was. If I leave and come back
> after an extended period of time, my screen is locked upon wakeup --
> which makes me wonder if it really is asleep like I think it is.  I'm
> not sure how this works exactly, but maybe someone else might.

Couldn't find a web link so here is a copy of the message, it's from the
tuxonice (suspend 2) mail group

---------------------

From: Rob Snow <rsnow@geocomputing.net>
To: tuxonice-devel@lists.tuxonice.net
Subject: [TuxOnIce-devel] TuxOnIce vs. T61p/nvidia : BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 11s!
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:14:45 -0500

My new "mistress" (my wife's term) this past week and I have been
working on getting it up and running.  One of my major requirements if
for a working suspend/resume (disk).  It seems to always be an adventure
to get this working.

I have run suspend2 in the past and decided to go with TuxOnIce again.
After going through the gyrations and multitude of reboots that getting
any suspend to disk or hibernate working, I have it working with the
nvidia driver by using DummyXServer.

I did some benchmarking vs. my old Dell M60 (2G/1.8GHz/nvidia) and my
new "mistress" (4G/2.5GHz x 2/nvidia with X up and firefox / evolution /
mrxvt running.

Fedora 8 on both machines
stock kernel on M60
tuxonice-pae kernel on T61p

Suspend:
M60 (Suspend): 30-33 seconds
T61p (TuxOnIce): 23-25 seconds

Resume:
M60: 57 seconds
T61p: 115 seconds(!) + 2 beeps + blank screen for quite a while.

After doing some digging I discovered this in dmesg:

BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 11s! (hibernate:nnnn)

This shows up 5 times (I think, machine not on atm) and after doing some
searching it looks almost, if not identical to the information in this
dmesg-output section.

I also notice that the text-ui seems to start at 0 and go forward to
~75MB and then jump forward to ~500MB just before the freeze and then
after the freeze / blank screen / beeps it resumes at ~75MB and
continues on through the progress bar.

I seem to remember seeing on some page something regarding a ProcSetting
for when to wake up the other CPUs, but can't for the life of me find it
so I could try that to see if it had any effect.

--
Rob Snow