[ltp] More war stories about Lenovo build quality

Jose Celestino linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 04:00:52 +0100

Words by Richard Neill [Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:17:35AM +0000]:

>>     1. Fingerprint reader overheats excessively and then fails to
>>            function. Thinkfinger has some serious bugs related to
>>            this, which exposes my typed password in cleartext if I'm
>>            not careful.
>
> Ugh!
>

>>     2. The CPU regularly runs at 157F or higher, with nothing at
>>            all loaded or running. Because of this, I have to set the
>>            fan on full-speed at startup through APCI, which sounds
>>            like a jet engine in meetings and in the office.
>
> Is the CPU actually doing anything? Check `top`.  If not, you have a
> hardware issue - either a loose fan/heatsink, or a very very dust-clogged
> fan. If so, then kill the process.
>
> That said, 70 C isn't that bad for a CPU - it's too hot for your knee,
> but won't hurt the chip. So if you work on a desk, you can probably let
> it stay there.

Aiks. I can hardly get my CPU(s) to 50 C. Moreover, the fan, even at
full speed is hardly noticeable.

But this is a T61p. And I'm using Ubuntu Hardy (beta).

Maybe the OP got a terrible bad luck. Or maybe I'm lucky as I don't have
anything bad to say (just two week with this laptop though).

(...)

>> I'm probably going to just cut bait and buy a Mac soon. At least I can
>> still run all of my FLOSS packages there, and not ever have to worry
>> about the hardware or functioning drivers/support.
>>

> I think Lenovo are in a big mess right now, and I hope they emerge from
> it. However, the Macs have their own problems, and I know quite a lot of
> people who have had mac-hardware issues.

Yeah. That's absolutely right, from lowsy or even misfunctioning
displays to cracking plastics and aluminium, breaking keyboards, I've
heard it all. Even card insertion that goes into a bunch of smoke and a
macbook melting.

There are bad apples everywhere.

--
Jose Celestino