[ltp] X61s and fan speed < level 1

Günther Starnberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:27:23 +0200

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

Hello,

I have a "problem" with the fan speed of a X61s:

If I'm using the (default) "level auto" mode in /proc/acpi/ibm/fan, the
fan runs most of the time at around 3800 to 4400 rpm (at the beginning
the fan only runs for some minutes, and after some time it keeps
running). However, sometimes (especially when I boot the system
immediately after shutting it down), the fan starts with 3200 to 3400 rpm
and keeps running at this lower speed.

I'd like to somehow force the system into this slow fan speed without
rebooting until it works (especially as ~3300 rpm seems to be enough to
keep the system cool, the temperature of the CPU is currently stable at
41 degree). However, "level 1" in the proc interface seems to be equal
to about 3800 rpm, so I can't set a speed of less than 3800 (except if I
use "level 0").

Any ideas how it could be possible to manually set the fan speed to
~3300 rpm? Do other experience the same problem on a X61s?

bye,
Guenther

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--