[ltp] X61s and fan speed < level 1

Thomas Kahle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:57:57 +0200

Hi,

I have investigated a bit on this too.
On my x61s the fan is working perfectly for about 10 minutes (meaning
that it switches OFF again if I dont use the machine), then it just goes
on and stays on at approx 3800rpm.
I think this is a problem with the temperature thresshold of the miniPCI
wlan.
If I monitor the temperatures then you can see that in this 10 minutes
the temperatures no 2 and 3 in the sensor output from thinkpad-acpi go
up to approx 43. Then the fan keeps rotating at level 4 (3800rpm), but
this appearently does not cool the wlan-device since it is located in a
totally different location, so the fan stays on.

In Windows vista there is some workaround installed. The fan goes off
again, and seems mostly CPU-temperature contrlled. (Although i did not
test too much there)

I now use the fan-control scripts from thinkwiki and i raised the lower
threshold of the 2nd and 3rd sensor to 45 degrees. Now they operate at
exactly the same temperature like whith bios controlled fan, only that
the fan stays off most of the time, when the computer is idle...

Did anyone contact Lenovo about this ? I'd love to know how much the
bios directly controls and if vista has some "proprietery" fan control
built in... ?

thanks
Thomas