[ltp] X61s and fan speed < level 1

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:50:24 -0400

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:57:57PM +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> I have investigated a bit on this too.
> On my x61s the fan is working perfectly for about 10 minutes (meaning
> that it switches OFF again if I dont use the machine), then it just goes
> on and stays on at approx 3800rpm.
> I think this is a problem with the temperature thresshold of the miniPCI
> wlan.
> If I monitor the temperatures then you can see that in this 10 minutes
> the temperatures no 2 and 3 in the sensor output from thinkpad-acpi go
> up to approx 43. Then the fan keeps rotating at level 4 (3800rpm), but
> this appearently does not cool the wlan-device since it is located in a
> totally different location, so the fan stays on.

Are you using the wireless network?  If you're not a good thing to do
is to rmmod the iwl4965 device driver, since that will cause it to
power down and use less power (as well as produce less heat).

If you *are* using it, you can put it in power saving mode with this
command:

for i in `echo /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl4965/*/power_level`; do
    echo 5 > $i
done

						- Ted