[ltp] Re: X61s and fan speed < level 1

Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:35:01 -0300

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Günther Starnberger wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:49:19PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Oh, and you *are* running the latest firmware (BIOS/EC) I presume? If not,
> > update them and re-test.
>
> I've just checked: BIOS Version is 1.11. Current Version by Lenovo is
> 2.07, but I didn't find any fan related changes in the "summary of
> changes" by Lenovo.

Lenovo's summary of changes is far more like a "things we remembered to let
you know we fixed" than anything.  They are NOT complete.  Your BIOS is very
old, if you want any bug reports re. the BIOS/EC to be acted upon, you will
have to update them.

BTW, you are likely to have behaviour changes re. the hot keys when you
upgrade, depending on how they lobotomized your HAL daemon, and your X.org
version (and X.org driver).  I can only hope it will be a change for the
better, but I can't guarantee it.

It will NOT be a bug in the BIOS/EC, though, but rather userspace not doing
things according to what the kernel AND the firmware expects.

> Ok. I'll create a log of the different values with a current BIOS/EC
> version.

Thanks.

> On my old X41 the fan was running virtually all the time. However, I
> preferred the X41 behaviour when compared to the X61s as it didn't enter
> high rpm modes when there was no load on the system.

The X41 is a vastly superior machine to the X61, in the bottom line.

And it let you reprogram the fan RPM targets through ACPI, something that
Lenovo removed from the X60 and later.

  Henrique Holschuh