[ltp] T61 Gutsy > Hardy upgrade almost fixed stuff

Peter Frühberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 May 2008 06:45:32 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 02.05.2008, 14:34 -0700 schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008 23:24:33 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:
>
> > On Fri, 2 May 2008 05:03:47 +0100
> > Ashok Leyland <a_06357@fastmail.fm> dijo:

> > > try doing
> > >     ifconfig wlan0 up
> > > and then
> > >     iwlist wlan0 scan
> > > mine won't scan unless the interface is brought up first
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work:
> >
> > jjj@Devil7:~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
> > [sudo] password for jjj:
> > jjj@Devil7:~$ iwlist wlan0 scan
> > wlan0     No scan results
>
> Well, I may have complained too soon. I do not have wireless at home,
> although my neighbors do. I was unable to see any of the neighbors'
> networks, so i concluded that the 4965agn was not working. That is
> because ever since getting my T61 I have been using a Netgear PCMCIA
> card, and when I insert it at home it does show the neighbors' networks.
>
> So today I am at the university and the 4965agn is working fine. The
> LED is not lit up, but I'm not overly concerned about that. The only
> thing I can conclude is that because I was connected via ethernet to my
> cable connection at home the 4965agn was blocked from working. Here at
> the university, of course, I am not connected to ethernet, so it works.
> That's a wild-ass theory. Actually, I don't much give a damn, as long
> as it continues to work.

Your LED will be working fine. Just install
linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-16-generic <- meaning the one matchin to
your kernel version

Peter