[ltp] New T61 :) Wireless manager question, and wireless question.

Ben Pearre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 May 2008 00:41:51 -0600

Many thanks to all of you who set my mind somewhat at rest regarding
the new T61.  It arrived yesterday.  A more full review will follow,
but so far I have just one or two questions, about wireless:

1) For years I've been using a hacked-together set of scripts for
   wireless, in which I scan and then associate to a network based on
   the scan results, optionally with an encryption key.  That worked
   well, but it is tedious and could easily be automated.  I'm
   assuming that by now it is, multiple times.  I've tried
   kwifimanager (it doesn't work, but see (2)).  What else is out
   there?  What has the functionality I describe?  What do you like?

2) Perhaps related to kwifimanager's failure to impress me: I have the
   Intel 3945abg, Debian unstable, kernel 2.6.25, the iwl3945 modules
   loaded, and I cannot see my (or any) network.  I've tried manually
   setting the ESSID and channel through iwconfig, but dhclient still
   can't get a lease, and iwconfig shows that the card still isn't
   binding to any network.  I haven't yet done as good a job as I'd
   like of searching the archives here but I think I exhausted the
   usefulness of the wiki.  Any suggestions would be deeply
   appreciated.  Here's some output:

(0)# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=0 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

(0)# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

(0)# ifconfig wifi0 up
wifi0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Many thanks for reading!
-Ben

--
Ben Pearre     http://ml.cs.colorado.edu/~ben      PGP: CFDA6CDA