[ltp] Re: New T61 :) Wireless manager question, and wireless question.

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 May 2008 12:46:18 +1000

"David A. Desrosiers" <david.a.desrosiers@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>     What you want in 'NetworkManager', along with the
>     'knetworkmanager' package to provide the GUI applet for KDE.
>
> As mentioned previously by several people including myself,
> NetworkManager does not work in Ubuntu Hardy or Gutsy prior to
> that. Stick with your home-rolled scripts, that's what most of us are
> doing now anyway.

You keep /saying/ that, in defiance to the evidence presented:

My T61p laptop is currently connected to the network using
NetworkManager.  It was connected when running Gutsy, is connected while
running Hardy, and ran happily through the development cycle of Hardy.

So, your statement is trivially false: NetworkManager *DOES* work, for
some people, some of the time.

If you want to be helpful rather than simply bombastic you might, for
example, inform the original poster that it does not work /for you/.

That would be true, and potentially useful information.  It would help
even more if you were to point out to the original poster the actual
/problems/ you encountered -- not just "it doesn't work."

Furthermore, your assertions about "what most of us are doing now
anyway" are of the same merit as your other claims: unsupported, and of
little practical value to the original poster.

I could further claim the opposite but, frankly, I don't believe you
actually care about helping the OP so much as advancing your own
particular agenda.

You are welcome to dislike NetworkManager as much as you please; I have
no particular love of it, but I do try to keep my advice in line with
both reality and the recommendation of the upstream distribution where
possible.

Regards,
        Daniel

If you supply some actual evidence of your complaints I may even start
considering them caused by something other than an overabundence of bile
on your part.