[ltp] Re: T61 Gutsy > Hardy upgrade almost fixed stuff

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 May 2008 21:16:42 -0400

------=_Part_21528_13798348.1210036602088

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

> Your statement is trivially false: I am using Network Manager on the
> laptop on which I write this.

Let's start with the basics. Here's nm-editor, launched from my Hardy Heron
install while my wireless network was up and running (with about 15 other
wireless networks within range of me):

http://code.gnu-designs.com/nm-editor_main_gui.png

Now what? There is no "Add" button, "Remove" does nothing. No networks are
shown in the list, including the active network I'm using to get to gmail to
compose this reply.

The "File" menu has one option: "Quit". Not very useful. This is version
0.6.6-0ubuntu5 of network-manager-gnome from Ubuntu (the latest version from
the repos as of about 4 hours ago).

I can, however type in the "Name" field on the Properties side of the
applet. Attempting to type in the "bssids" portion just beeps at me for
every keystroke. Then what?

nm-applet does absolutely nothing when launched from a shell. No output,
doesn't return (unless I ^C it of course), doesn't launch anything into my
gnome-panel, nothing.

So what am I supposed to do next? Where do I "add" a wireless network? Where
are the properties that allow me to specify WPA2+TKIP+SSK, and so on?

Perhaps you mean:

> I have had trouble with Network Manager in Ubuntu, for example <insert
> example here>, which you can read about in detail in my bug report at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/....

I mean what I originally stated. NetworkManager is completely useless in
Hardy, and does absolutely nothing. I write what I write for a reason;
because that's what I mean to say.

------=_Part_21528_13798348.1210036602088

Your statement is trivially false: I am using Network Manager on the<br>
Perhaps you mean:<br>
I have had trouble with Network Manager in Ubuntu, for example &lt;insert<br>
example here&gt;, which you can read about in detail in my bug report at<br>

------=_Part_21528_13798348.1210036602088--