[ltp] Re: T61 Gutsy > Hardy upgrade almost fixed stuff

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 May 2008 00:02:27 +1000

"David A. Desrosiers" <david.a.desrosiers@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>     Your statement is trivially false: I am using Network Manager on the
>     laptop on which I write this.
>
> Let's start with the basics. Here's nm-editor, launched from my Hardy
> Heron install while my wireless network was up and running (with about
> 15 other wireless networks within range of me):

Does it really advance the conversation if I post a screenshot of it
running fine on my machine, or whatever?

[...]

>     Perhaps you mean:
>
>     I have had trouble with Network Manager in Ubuntu, for example <insert
>     example here>, which you can read about in detail in my bug report at
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/....
>
> I mean what I originally stated. NetworkManager is completely useless
> in Hardy, and does absolutely nothing. I write what I write for a
> reason; because that's what I mean to say.

Well, I don't know either of us is going to get much value from going
back and forth arguing about the value of (in my opinion, incorrect)
blanket statements about the software.

In the elided section above I actually tested the software, seeing some
of the same awful UI in nm-editor[1] but that the applet ran just fine.

Really, though, the first statement is true: I don't think that this is
a conversation about proof of any sort.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  By awful I mean "typical of a GNOME application", letting my own
     biases show a bit, I guess. ;)