[ltp] Re: New T61 :) Wireless manager question, and wireless question.

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 May 2008 08:53:48 -0400

Ted Ghose wrote:
> Network Manager works fine on my T61 on fedora 8!
>
> thanks
>
> -tg-
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt
> <mailto:mgedmin@b4net.lt>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 12:41:51AM -0600, Ben Pearre wrote:
>      > Many thanks to all of you who set my mind somewhat at rest regarding
>      > the new T61.  It arrived yesterday.  A more full review will follow,
>      > but so far I have just one or two questions, about wireless:
>      >
>      > 1) For years I've been using a hacked-together set of scripts for
>      >    wireless, in which I scan and then associate to a network based on
>      >    the scan results, optionally with an encryption key.  That worked
>      >    well, but it is tedious and could easily be automated.  I'm
>      >    assuming that by now it is, multiple times.  I've tried
>      >    kwifimanager (it doesn't work, but see (2)).  What else is out
>      >    there?  What has the functionality I describe?  What do you like?
>
>     Network Manager works fine on my T61.  I've the same wifi: Intel
>     3945abg, the iwl3945 modules from Ubuntu Hardy.
>
>      > 2) Perhaps related to kwifimanager's failure to impress me: I
>     have the
>      >    Intel 3945abg, Debian unstable, kernel 2.6.25, the iwl3945 modules
>      >    loaded, and I cannot see my (or any) network.  I've tried manually
>      >    setting the ESSID and channel through iwconfig, but dhclient still
>      >    can't get a lease, and iwconfig shows that the card still isn't
>      >    binding to any network.  I haven't yet done as good a job as I'd
>      >    like of searching the archives here but I think I exhausted the
>      >    usefulness of the wiki.  Any suggestions would be deeply
>      >    appreciated.  Here's some output:
>      >
>      > (0)# iwconfig
>      > lo        no wireless extensions.
>      >
>      > eth1      no wireless extensions.
>      >
>      > wmaster0  no wireless extensions.
>      >
>      > wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
>      >           Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
>      >           Tx-Power=0 dBm
>      >           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
>      >           Encryption key:off
>      >           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>      >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>      >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>      >
>      > (0)# iwlist wlan0 scan
>      > wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
>      >
>      > (0)# ifconfig wifi0 up
>      > wifi0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
>     'wifi0' != 'wlan0'.
>
>     Marius Gedminas
>     --
>     Westheimer's Discovery:
> [...]
I've used NetworkManager on many different OS' without issue.  Some
advanced features like WPA2 or LEAP may not have always worked, but the
beta for 0.7.0 that I use in Hardy just simply works for every purpose
"I" need.