[ltp] T60p + FireGL + Atheros Wireless Hardy Upgraded Failure

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 May 2008 12:31:28 -0700

I need to do a fresh install of Hardy.  Anyone done this lately with
this machine?

What I need pointers with is mostly how to best setup the wireless
and video.  I assume I'll just fetch the ATI driver from the ATI site.

I'm not set on staying with Ubuntu.  I started using it after using
Debian for many years to get more current packages.  So, I'm open to
suggestions.  Maybe Gentoo?

Any reason not to use xfs instead of ext3?  IIRC, xfs doesn't require
fsck to run (fsck always seems to run when I need the laptop to start
*fast*, of course).

I had a mostly working T60p with Gutsy.

Network manager worked fine with wireless (although there were some
access points I could not get but those with Windows or Mac could),
XGL and Compiz worked perfectly (but could not run dual monitors with
XGL enabled).

Sleep and Hibernate didn't work due to the ATI driver problem with the
newer kernel (SLUB allocator, IIRC).

So, I've seen reports that some have working sleep with Hardy so I
attempted the upgrade to Hardy 8.04 LTS.  I made sure Gutsy was
up-to-date and ran fsck before starting.  fsck showed no problems.

The upgrade failed miserably.

The only package not to install was tzdata.  Didn't seem critical.  So
rebooted.  fsck ran and reported many bad blocks.  Very odd that I get
that right after running the upgrade.

When it does boot I get:

- I get a warning that can only run in low resolution mode.
- Can't log in without disabling xserver-xgl.
- xterm was removed.
- wireless is gone.
- None of the panel icons can be run.  Clicking on them just shows the
"move" icon.  Very odd.

And probably other problems.

So, seems pretty hosed.

--