[ltp] T60p + FireGL + Atheros Wireless Hardy Upgraded Failure

Zhenqing Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 May 2008 16:20:38 -0400

    Bill> I'm not set on staying with Ubuntu.  I started using it after
    Bill> using Debian for many years to get more current packages.  So,
    Bill> I'm open to suggestions.  Maybe Gentoo?

I think APT package system is really good among others. I'd suggest you
try Arch instead of Gentoo, if you like to compile some package by
yourself but don't want to compile too much.

    Bill> Any reason not to use xfs instead of ext3?  IIRC, xfs doesn't
    Bill> require fsck to run (fsck always seems to run when I need the
    Bill> laptop to start *fast*, of course).

I have no experience in XFS. Recently there is a filesystem discussion
in Ubuntu User List.
,----
| http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.kubuntu/27514
`----
To avoid fsck during boot time. You can run
,----
| tune2fs -c <How many counts you want to mount before a forced test> -i
| <time interval>
`----
For more information, you can man tune2fs. AFAIK, ext3 is better than
xfs, which have more fs-tools on it.

    Bill> I had a mostly working T60p with Gutsy.

    Bill> Network manager worked fine with wireless (although there were
    Bill> some access points I could not get but those with Windows or
    Bill> Mac could), XGL and Compiz worked perfectly (but could not run
    Bill> dual monitors with XGL enabled).

    Bill> Sleep and Hibernate didn't work due to the ATI driver problem
    Bill> with the newer kernel (SLUB allocator, IIRC).

    Bill> So, I've seen reports that some have working sleep with Hardy
    Bill> so I attempted the upgrade to Hardy 8.04 LTS.  I made sure
    Bill> Gutsy was up-to-date and ran fsck before starting.  fsck
    Bill> showed no problems.

    Bill> The upgrade failed miserably.

How did you upgrade your Gutsy?

    Bill> The only package not to install was tzdata.  Didn't seem
    Bill> critical.  So rebooted.  fsck ran and reported many bad
    Bill> blocks.  Very odd that I get that right after running the
    Bill> upgrade.
I've got the same problem. I booted the system into "recovering mode"
and it's OK. I

    Bill> When it does boot I get:

    Bill> - I get a warning that can only run in low resolution mode.  -
    Bill> Can't log in without disabling xserver-xgl.  - xterm was
    Bill> removed.  - wireless is gone.  - None of the panel icons can
    Bill> be run.  Clicking on them just shows the "move" icon.  Very
    Bill> odd.

Better to remove the fglrx kernel modulus. I am sure that you got a
kernel update as well as updating to Hardy. Base on my observation,
fglrx modulus doesn't work on well when you didn't uninstall the old
linux-restricted-modulus package. Since the new kernel may found the old
module in this time. Recently I updated my Hardy from kernel 2.6.24.16
to 2.6.24.17. Then, glxgears reported only 700fps and Google Earth
complained about "using software-emulating OpenGL". What I did is simply
remove the old kernel modulus and restricted modulus. And reinstall the
new one and everything becomes OK. You'd better try.

Good Luck.

--
Zhenqing Li
Materials Science & Engineering (Emphasis on Polymer)

*Fudan University Macromoleculer Science Forum*
http://fudanmacro.com