[ltp] Re: T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 May 2008 20:38:07 -0400

> 1. battery only lasts about 5-6 hours for me compared to more than 7
> hours on windows vista.

> 2. area around fingerprint sensor gets too warm.

The second probably explain a large part of the first.

I've added the lines below to my /etc/sysfs.conf file for the same kind
of reasons.  IIRC it saved me more than 1W on my T60:

   # Hopefully, this is the fingerprint reader, which somehow isn't put
   # into auto-suspend mode automatically by the 2.6.23 kernel :-(
   bus/usb/devices/4-2/power/level = auto

You'll want to first figure out which USB device is your fingerprint
reader (maybe it's 4-2 like mine, but it may as well be anything else).

You can check

  grep . /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product

to figure out which is which.

        Stefan