[ltp] Matsushita DVD drives and region lock

Thu, 08 May 2008 16:18:30 +0100

> Unless your disks are NOT region-locked, you *will* have to set the
> region to be able to use the player on region-encoded discs.  You have a
> (very) limited number of region changes before the drive locks it
> forever.

You have to set the region once, or even region-free DVDs won't play.
VLC can often ignore the region code, but if it's uninitialised, nothing
works. Good luck. I'm surprised that the DVD drive sellers don't see a
competitive advantage in selling easily-broken DRM.

Richard