[ltp] thinkpad-acpi (T6x/R6x/X6x): requesting testers for wireless switch behaviour

Damjan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 May 2008 18:28:10 +0200

> 1. ThinkPad Model and BIOS version (dmidecode can tell you this)

ThinkPad X60s, model 17045UG, BIOS 7BETD2WW (2.13 ), EC 7BHT40WW-1.13
no wwan here, just wifi and bluetooth.

> 2. Turn all radios ON (including bluetooth and wwan if you have it), and
> make sure you do it with the radio switch in the "on" position.  Now,
> move the switch to the radios-off position.

iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 3
iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
iwl3945: MAC is in deep sleep!
iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
iwl3945: MAC is in deep sleep!
iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
iwl3945: MAC is in deep sleep!
iwl3945: WARNING: Requesting MAC access during RFKILL wakes up NIC
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:03:00.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
PM: Writing back config space on device 0000:03:00.0 at offset 1 (was
100102, writing 100106)
iwl3945: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill switch
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:03:00.0 disabled

> 2a. What state does /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> report?

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
status:         enabled

> 2b. If they report that WWAN and BT are off, are they *really* off?

well.. the BT led is off, dmesg says its off, hciconfig says its off, my
phone can't find it.. I'd say it's OFF.

> 2b1. Can you force WWAN and BT to the ON state even while the radio
> switch is in the off position?

No,
echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
status: disabled
echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
status: enabled

but it's still off

> 2c. If they report that WWAN and BT are on, are they *really* on?

it's OFF

> 3. Turn all radios *off* through /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and
> /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth and also by sliding the radio switch to the off
> position.
>
> 3a. are all radios really off?

yep.

> 3b. Now, slide the radio switch to the "on" position
>
> 3c. What state does /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> report?

status:         disabled

> 3d. is that state true (i.e. if it says off, are the radios really off?
> if it says on, are the radios really on)?

BT is off.
Wifi is still off, but if I select a network from the networkmanager
list (that it remembered from before), it will wake up, dmesg will show
IRQ applied etc..
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
PM: Writing back config space on device 0000:03:00.0 at offset 1 (was
100102, writing 100106)
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:radio
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:assoc
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:TX
wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0

> I believe turning WWAN and bluetooth off through the thinkpad firmware
> actually unplugs them from the USB bus.  If that's true, it should be a
> really simple matter to know if it is working or not, as they will show
> up and disappear from lsusb output (run lsusb as root)...

exactly, both the kill switch and /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth disconnect
the BT device from usb.

--
damjan | дамјан
This is my jabber ID -->         damjan@bagra.net.mk