[ltp] thinkpad-acpi (T6x/R6x/X6x): requesting testers for wireless switch behaviour

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:34:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Basically, I need to know some data points and I'd appreciate if some
> T6x/R6x/X6x owners could run the tests below and report back.

I'd really like to help with these tests, but I have some questions.

> 2. Turn all radios ON (including bluetooth and wwan if you have it), and
> make sure you do it with the radio switch in the "on" position.  Now,
> move the switch to the radios-off position.

Uhm.... How does one turn the radios on? I have WiFi and cat easily test
that. The only Bluetooth device I have is a PDA, and I've not tried to get
that link to work recently. I've never tried to get WWAN to work at all.

Should I ensure they are really on? How?

> 2b1. Can you force WWAN and BT to the ON state even while the radio
> switch is in the off position?

How would one try?

> 3. Turn all radios *off* through /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and
> /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth and also by sliding the radio switch to the off
> position.
>
> 3a. are all radios really off?

You want answers for which states? Proc off, switch on; proc off, switch
off; proc on, switch off; proc on, switch on?

> I believe turning WWAN and bluetooth off through the thinkpad firmware
> actually unplugs them from the USB bus.  If that's true, it should be a
> really simple matter to know if it is working or not, as they will show
> up and disappear from lsusb output (run lsusb as root)...

It would probably be a lot of work, and if you already have enough
answers, there's no need, but a bootable CD that does this testing against
some known hardware, e-mailing the results to you, would certainly make
this easier for a lot of folks... again, if you want a lot of results.

Chris