[ltp] thinkpad-acpi (T6x/R6x/X6x): requesting testers for wireless switch behaviour

Sebastian Geiger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 May 2008 19:49:03 +0200

thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.20-20080430 on 2.6.25-r1 running
gentoo:

> 1. ThinkPad Model and BIOS version (dmidecode can tell you this)

Thinkpad X61 dmidecode output:
root@pluto /root #dmidecode
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.4 present.
63 structures occupying 2127 bytes.
Table at 0x000E0010.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
    Vendor: LENOVO
    Version: 7NETA7WW (2.07 )
    Release Date: 01/22/2008
    Address: 0xE0000
    Runtime Size: 128 kB
    ROM Size: 4096 kB
    Characteristics:
        PCI is supported
        PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
        PNP is supported
        BIOS is upgradeable
        BIOS shadowing is allowed
        ESCD support is available
        Boot from CD is supported
        Selectable boot is supported
        BIOS ROM is socketed
        EDD is supported
        ACPI is supported
        USB legacy is supported
        BIOS boot specification is supported
        Targeted content distribution is supported
    BIOS Revision: 2.7
    Firmware Revision: 1.3

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
    Manufacturer: LENOVO
    Product Name: 7673A35
    Version: ThinkPad X61
> 2. Turn all radios ON (including bluetooth and wwan if you have it), and
> make sure you do it with the radio switch in the "on" position.  Now,
> move the switch to the radios-off position.

uhm no WWAN here, WLAN is on, but not associated to any AP, and i have
no idea how to use bluetooth. Some input from your side would be help full.
> 2a. What state does /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> report?

root@pluto ibm #cat bluetooth
status:        disabled
commands:    enable, disable
root@pluto ibm #echo enable > bluetooth
root@pluto ibm #cat bluetooth
status:        enabled
commands:    enable, disable

Switching the hardware switch off did not change this, also ifconfig
still shows the wireless interface. Not sure if that info helps.
> 2b. If they report that WWAN and BT are off, are they *really* off?

Uh, what?
> 2b1. Can you force WWAN and BT to the ON state even while the radio
> switch is in the off position?

While the hardware button is off, i can switch it to enabled, but since
i dont know how to use bluetooth im notesure if its really on or not?
> 2c. If they report that WWAN and BT are on, are they *really* on?

Not sure here either.
> 3. Turn all radios *off* through /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and
> /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth and also by sliding the radio switch to the off
> position.
>
> 3a. are all radios really off?
>
> 3b. Now, slide the radio switch to the "on" position
>
> 3c. What state does /proc/acpi/ibm/wan and /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> report?
>
> 3d. is that state true (i.e. if it says off, are the radios really off?
> if it says on, are the radios really on)?
>

> I believe turning WWAN and bluetooth off through the thinkpad firmware
> actually unplugs them from the USB bus.  If that's true, it should be a
> really simple matter to know if it is working or not, as they will show
> up and disappear from lsusb output (run lsusb as root)...
> root@pluto ibm #cat bluetooth
> status:		enabled
> commands:	enable, disable
> root@pluto ibm #lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0a5c:2110 Broadcom Corp.
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> root@pluto ibm #echo disable > bluetooth
> root@pluto ibm #lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

Let me know if you need additional input.
Best Regards
Sebastian