[ltp] New T61. Some questions (32 vs 64, kernel, DVDs), some answers (esp. keyboard noise)...

Fri, 9 May 2008 13:20:31 +0300

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:44:29AM -0600, Ben Pearre wrote:
> First: MANY thanks to all of you who pointed me to knetworkmanager.
> It works for me, although it took me a day to figure out that I needed
> the firmware-iwlwifi package... and apologies for the flamewar for
> which I feel strangely responsible.  The only thing that doesn't work
> for me is that the knetworkmanager icon sometimes vanishes from the
> KDE system tray (the tray (and ps) still thinks it's there, but just
> refuses to display it), and it won't come back no matter what I do.
> Is there another way to access the damn thing?  Is there a Gnome or X
> or etc. control that will talk to the underlying mechanism and do
> similar stuff?  (Running latest Debian Sid).

The Gnome control for network-manager is called 'nm-applet'.  It comes
=66rom the network-manager-gnome on Ubuntu, and I'd assume on Debian as
well.

> More questions:
>=20
> 1) Power!  I have the Core2 Duo T8300 @ 2.40GHz, 15.4" wsxga+ screen,
>    Intel graphics, 3G ram, fingerprint reader, 160G 5400rpm disk (with
>    encryption), the standard battery, etc.  Kpowersave's "Powersave"
>    profile is set up for 60% brightness, Dynamic CPU, ... (no way to
>    set hard disk spindown time with this tool, but let's assume the
>    hard disk is spinning).  CPUs are idle.  I'm running the 2.6.25-1
>    kernel from Debian Sid.  I let the computer die on battery power
>    and recharged to make sure that the gauge was calibrated.  And
>    Kpowersave claims that I can expect 3.5 hours of runtime.  Is that
>    reasonable?  How can I improve that?

I think that's reasonable.  Try the powertop tool, it's a very good one
for measuring power usage and suggesting possible improvements.

I'm skipping the questions I don't know the answers for.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--