[ltp] Re: thinkpad-acpi (T6x/R6x/X6x): requesting testers for wireless switch behaviour

Fri, 9 May 2008 08:29:19 -0300

On Fri, 09 May 2008, Rainer Rehak wrote:
> Second, i use the madwifi-ng drivers with the norfkill option for my
> wireless. This disables the hardware switch (got it? =)).

The Atheros WLAN cards (at least the older mini-PCI ones) typically
don't connect to the hardware switch.  If they did, one should not be
able to override it AFAIK.

It would require a very special kind of braindamage to add a register to
the hardware that makes it *ignore* the hardware rfkill signal.  If
Atheros does this, then I am *really* happy I got Intel radios instead.

Now, for driver-based rfkill, which every WLAN driver does (on top of
any possible hardware-based rfkill signal), that would make sense.  But
I hate the madwify{,-ng} code so much, I won't look into it to check
what the heck is happening or that will put me off doing kernel work for
a week.  If someone else wants to do it, please reply with your
findings.

  Henrique Holschuh