[ltp] issues with r31

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 May 2008 02:37:03 +0300

I'm trying to install linux on my dad's r31. There seem to be similar issues
with both debian unstable and ubuntu 7.10.

There are two big problems.

The first one is that the trackpoint goes crazy every about 10-15 seconds
starting to jump around screen, switch virtual desktops and cause scrolling all
around. It's currently setup with driver mouse, device /dev/input/mice and
protocol IMPS/2. I seem to recall that for my t61 there is an option to allow
tapping for the trackpoint but I don't recall how it is activated or if it can
be related to the issues. There is no touchpad on this one so I can't disable
the trackpoint.

The other issue is that it seems that trying to do very minimal things like
switch focus between windows causes Xorg to go to around 90%+ cpu making the
laptop completely unresponsive. Not sure if this is the cause but the video
card if I understand correctly is an intel 82830 and I'm running the intel xorg
driver.

Will be glad for any input on any of these since right now the laptop is
useless for linux the way it is behaving.

Thanks