[ltp] Ubuntu Hardy: Intel video driver slow/broken on Thinkpad X41

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 May 2008 21:41:13 -0400

I've got a Thinkpad X41 tablet with an Intel 915 video chip.  I've just
installed Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and have noticed that (among the *rest* of
the bugs) that 3D performance has dropped markedly compared to the
previous Ubunto (Gutsy 7.10).

I realized that 3D isn't going to be fast on an X41, but I observe that
certain apps that used to run acceptably (celestia, some of the OpenGL
screensavers, Google Earth) now display a single frame per second or
less - making them totally unusable.

Anyone else having 3D issues with Hardy on an X41?  (Or on any other
Thinkpad with Intel video?)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com