[ltp] CD-ROM hotplug

Wolf Wiegand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 May 2008 16:35:19 +0200

Hi,

the CD-ROM connector of my R40 is somewhat broken, the machine won't
boot with the CD-ROM-device inserted into the machine (hangs in
POST-screen). The machine is dualboot Linux+Windows, and if I boot into
Windows, I can just insert the CD-ROM after logging on, and a couple of
seconds later the device is available (and works).

If I try to do the same thing on Linux, just nothing happens. By
nothing, I mean that there are no new entries in /var/log/syslog or
/v/l/messages, and /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc are not created, either.
I also tried inserting the drive after POST, before actually booting
Linux, to no avail.

I am using Debian unstable with a custom kernel 2.6.25.

Can anybody tell how I can activate the CD-ROM-device retroactively or
which kernel configuration settings I need for this?

Cheers,

Wolf

--
[Grundwehrdienstleistende] Verbrauchsartikel halt. Günstigerweise kann das
Rohmaterial von ungelernten Kräften in Massenfertigung hergestellt werden.