[ltp] fingerprint reader heating up (t61)

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 May 2008 01:22:37 +0300

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:08:54 +0200
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:47:03 -0500 (CDT)
> Chris Schumann <chris@idlelion.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Micha wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed lately that ocationally the fingerprint reader start to
> > > really heat up. Is there a way to disable it, or make sure that it
> > > doesn't work when not asked for?
> >
> > When I use ThinkFinger on my T60, the reader sometimes gets warm. Only the
> > reader itself gets warm to the touch. I have removed ThinkFinger which
> > keeps it cool, but I may try it again.
> >

> thats the thing, i believe thinkfinger should only be active when pam calls
> it, and it shouldn't be doing that unless there is a login request, so why
> does it seems like it's running more then it should.
>
> It also doesn't seem all the time.
>
> on the other hand, the hardisk idea seems plausible. I will try checking it's
> temperature next time the fingerprint reader tries to burn me.

Did some more testing, it doesn't seem to be an hardisk issue. It isn't working
much when the touchpad is heating up and removing uhci_hcd makes it cool down,
suggesting fingerprint reader.

on the other hand I noticed today that another issue I have seems to be
related. hald-addon-input goes to 100% for a long time, and it seems from what
I've seen today that this is what's driving the fingerprint reader.

Any ideas about that?

thanks