[ltp] Re: T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 May 2008 21:20:32 +1000

>> In any case I implemented the following udev rule that sets the
>> 'power' attribute to 'auto' when the device is detected by udev:
>
>> # Set the power mode of the fingerprint reader to auto, ensuring that it doesn't draw
>> # power that we otherwise don't care about.
>> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTR{manufacturer}=="STMicroelectronics", ATTR{product}=="Biometric Coprocessor", ATTR{power/level}="auto"
>
> Cool!  I didn't know you could set attributes directly from udev rules.
> I tried it by running some external script, which had all kinds of
> problems.  I'll try this one.

Neither did I until I went looking into the manual page to work out if I
could just run shell commands from the code; I was pleasantly surprised
this works and /hope/ it isn't just by chance ^W implementation details.

This is with udev 117, I should note, and I have not tested it beyond my
one machine.

Regards,
        Daniel