[ltp] remember brightness through power ups

Tue, 13 May 2008 10:07:52 -0300

On Tue, 13 May 2008, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Every time I power up my Thinkpad r50e, I have to turn the brightness
> back down by hitting Fn End.
>
> Later when I start xdm, I have to do it again.
>
> Why can't these settings stay set, somewhere in EPROM, or at least on
> disk?

They do, as far as the thinkpad is concerned.  And as far as the kernel
is concerned too, for that matter.

Assuming your CMOS battery is not bad, something in userspace is either
modifying the CMOS directly (KDE had some "thinkpad support" crap that
could do it, which makes it probable that gnome had it too), or by
screwing around with thinkpad-acpi or ACPI video.

I doubt it is X.org itself messing with the hardware, since whatever is
doing it is also changing the CMOS (otherwise the thinkpad would boot to
the right brightness) and X.org does NOT do that when it is in "access
the hardware yourself" mode.

  Henrique Holschuh