[ltp] T61 Gutsy > Hardy upgrade almost fixed stuff

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 May 2008 11:04:59 -0400

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 10:26 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Network Manager is non-functional in Hardy, just as it was in Gutsy.
> Avoid it if you want functioning wired or wireless networking.

Network Manager is *less* functional than it was in Gutsy.  In Gutsy, on
a Thinkpad X41 (Intel 2915ABG wireless) I could connect to wireless
access points with it.  Under Hardy, it will simply refuse to connect to
an open hotspot (it won't set the ESSID or attempt to associate at all,
as far as I can tell), and I have to use iwconfig and dhclient from a
shell to get a connection.

Using manual configuration with Network Manager sometimes works, but
then what's the point of having Network Manager in the first place?

For me Hardy has been one giant regression from Gutsy.  Very little is
*better* - except for battery life.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com