[ltp] Re: iwl4965, Hardy x86_64, and frustration (long)

Stephen Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 May 2008 12:18:37 -0400

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
>  I should also add that the problem was not really a disconnect but,
>  rather, losing my DHCP lease. In fact, all the GUI tools and the
>  command line would say I was connected and display the IP address, yet
>  I could not go anywhere. I am not an expert with Linux so I was not
>  aware that I could restore it easily from the command line with "sudo
>  dhclient wlan0."

This makes me think the problem has nothing at all to do with your
wireless driver, but rather with your DHCP client.  I wonder if you
possibly had two DHCP clients running, one left-over from
NetworkManager, and one run by wicd, and only one of them got a reply
from the DHCP server, so the second one thought the lease had expired
and disconnected you.

This would be good because it would mean that it's not a problem that
will recur :-)