[ltp] Re: T60p + FireGL + Atheros Wireless Hardy Upgraded Failure

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 May 2008 18:30:01 -0700

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:46:51PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:
>
> > What I need pointers with is mostly how to best setup the wireless
> > and video.  I assume I'll just fetch the ATI driver from the ATI site.
>
> No, use the "restricted drivers" support provided by Ubuntu, which will
> install the packaged and compatible drivers for you.  That will save you
> a world of pain.

Not much luck with the fglrx driver today.  I spent last two or three
hours trying different driver configurations.

A fresh install and letting xorg auto-detect the radeon driver seems
to work best.  Just rotten glxgears speed and no compiz.

When I installed the ATI fglrx driver using the restricted drivers
feature desktop effects work, but there's annoying artifacts on the
screen that follow the mouse pointer around.  In addition, sleep does
not work, which is a problem may are experiencing:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22/+bug/121653

With Gutsy I had the ATI driver and no sleep, but no screen artifacts.
So, that was acceptable.

But, as fun as compiz is, I think I like the sleep feature better.

I also tried installing the fglrx driver from the ATI web site, and
that did not work at all.

With the ati/radeon driver is it possible to have:

    1) xv output?  mplayer with -vo x11 isn't pretty.

    2) dual monitors?  A second monitor as a clone works, but I'd like
    to use the big desktop setup that the ATI driver supports.
    It's handy when doing presentations.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley