[ltp] Re: T60p + FireGL + Atheros Wireless Hardy Upgraded Failure

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 May 2008 08:51:17 -0400

on Tue May 13 2008, Bill Moseley <moseley-AT-hank.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:46:51PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:
>>
>> > What I need pointers with is mostly how to best setup the wireless
>> > and video.  I assume I'll just fetch the ATI driver from the ATI site.
>>
>> No, use the "restricted drivers" support provided by Ubuntu, which will
>> install the packaged and compatible drivers for you.  That will save you
>> a world of pain.
>
> Not much luck with the fglrx driver today.  I spent last two or three
> hours trying different driver configurations.
>
> A fresh install and letting xorg auto-detect the radeon driver seems
> to work best.  Just rotten glxgears speed and no compiz.
>
> When I installed the ATI fglrx driver using the restricted drivers
> feature desktop effects work, but there's annoying artifacts on the
> screen that follow the mouse pointer around.

I've seen that with the Hardy version of that driver.  I don't know what
Hardy installs, but IIRC I'm using whatever EnvyNG installs -- I think
that is currently the 8-3 driver.  I do get artifacts initially, but
they go away almost immediately.  Certainly after a VT switch.

> In addition, sleep does not work, which is a problem may are
> experiencing:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22/+bug/121653

This might be an interaction with compiz and chvt.  I find if I kill compiz
before sleeping it all works.  I have what I think is a pretty complete
workaround now.  See the end of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/197209

HTH,

--