[ltp] diagnosing a freeze on T60p with ubuntu hardy

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 May 2008 14:24:34 -0400

My computer has been freezing once a day or so for the last month or so.

By freeze i mean that the sound stutters with whatever was playing, the
screen does not draw, and alt+sysreq command have no effect.

I must reboot by holding down the power button for a while.

Very frustrating.

I want to be able say with some certainty whether this problem is
hardware or software related.
=EF=BB=BF
I'm leaning toward a hardware problem  - but I'd like to provide some
convincing evidence of that to Lenovo support.

I hope I'm not going to have to run with windows for a while to convince
them that it's a hardware problem (if in fact it is a hardware problem).

I've recently done a fresh installation of Ubuntu hardy which has not
caused a change in the frequency of freezes.

so far my log of freezes indicates:
 - can happen on my desk or on the train
 - can happen while listing to music or not
 - can happen whether connected to a network or not
 - can happen whether VMware is in use or not
 - can happen even with normal temperatures on all sensors

What other criteria should I examine?

Is anyone else with the same hardware (T60p) experiencing this problem
with a default Ubuntu hardy installation?

thanks for any help on this!

brad