[ltp] Re: T60p + FireGL + Atheros Wireless Hardy Upgraded Failure

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 May 2008 23:15:19 -0700

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:51:17AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> > When I installed the ATI fglrx driver using the restricted drivers
> > feature desktop effects work, but there's annoying artifacts on the
> > screen that follow the mouse pointer around.
>
> I've seen that with the Hardy version of that driver.  I don't know what
> Hardy installs, but IIRC I'm using whatever EnvyNG installs -- I think
> that is currently the 8-3 driver.

Well, this looked promising, so I tried EnvyNG.  Failed to work for me
but I might just be doing something dumb.

    $ sudo apt-get install envyng-core
    $ envyng -t

Then I selected option 3 to install the ATI driver. It downloaded
a number of packages then asked to reboot.  Rebooting resulted in the
message that the graphics would be running in low resolution mode.
That seems to happen with xorg.conf is mis-configured (like when I
copied an xorg.conf file from a machine with an nvidia card by
mistake).

I ran the EnvyNG install once again from a different VT and then
rebooted and it seemed like it was going to work but after logging in
with gdm I get a blank screen with just a mouse pointer.

Here's the log: <http://hank.org/Xorg.0.log>.  Looks like there were
some issues with DRI.  .xsession-errors also said:

    Checking for Xgl: not present.

and also this:

    ** (nautilus:6194): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
    Starting gtk-window-decorator
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/moseley/.compiz/session/default0"
      PID TTY          TIME CMD
     6171 ?        00:00:00 pulseaudio
      PID TTY          TIME CMD
     6171 ?        00:00:00 pulseaudio

So just took a chance and installed xserver-xgl package.  That
actually got the Gnome desktop to start but was *extremely* slow.
The xorg driver does about 600fps with glxgears, but after installing
xserver-xgl I could hardly drag windows and I was getting about 65fps.

So, I'm back with the stock driver.

Any suggestions?  It was looking so promising after reading your post.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org