[ltp] diagnosing a freeze on T60p with ubuntu hardy

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 May 2008 08:29:46 -0400

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:02 +0100, Phil Shotton wrote:
> What is your graphics card, and what are you doing at the time of the
> freeze?
> I can get exactly the same symptoms (frozen system but with stuttering
> sound) pretty reproducibly by playing a video in mplayer using the gl2
> video output and selecting full-screen. This is with an ATI Mobility
> FireGL V5250.
> Provided I don't play video then 99% of the time it's fine.

I think all the T60p's have FireGL V52xx series video hardware - that's
what I have.

I'm trying this gl2 video output now to see if i can reproduce your
hang.

[gl2] You have OpenGL >= 1.2 capable drivers, GOOD (16bpp and BGR is
ok!)
[gl2] antialiasing off
[gl2] bilinear linear
A:  14.8 V:   1.8 A-V: 13.032 ct:  0.165  53/ 53  6% 842% 11.8% 50 0

           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
it's unwatchable using -vo gl2 - but no hang even after about 5 minutes
of a clearly taxed system.

Sounds like we don't share the same problem.

There is no apparent pattern wrt software I'm using at the time of the
hang.  I've seen the hang using fglrx but I've been using the ati driver
from X since I reinstalled the OS a week or so ago.

no 3d.

It seem i'm going to have to run with windows (like running with
scissors?) for a while to truly isolate the hardware from the software
issues....

Or maybe i'll try to use vesa - that might eliminiate the ati driver
from X (seems unlikely to help given that both fglrx and ati exhibit the
same problem.)

brad