[ltp] Rebooting when going to hibernation

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 May 2008 12:01:43 +0600

Please first try to check if the pure hibernation works.
First, boot to the single user commandline mode by adding 'single' (with no
quotes) to the kernel  paremeters list in GRUB or your bootloader.

Then, after getting the prompt try that:
[root@ibm power]# echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

That would trigger the pure hibernation. Then we'll see if it works. If it
does, then the problem is in the hibernation script, not the kernel.

If it would not help, the problem is in the kernel. Let's take a look at the
contents of...

[root@ibm power]# cat /sys/power/disk

That's the file which controls the way PC is shut down after hibernation.
I get that:
[platform] test testproc shutdown reboot

Brackets show active mode. Platform = shut down via firmware. Shutdown = just
shut down. Reboot = just reboot. If your choice is PLATFORM, try changing it
to SHUTDOWN. It may (or may not) indicate buggy firmware.

[root@ibm power]# echo -n "shutdown" > /sys/power/disk
[root@ibm power]# cat /sys/power/disk
platform test testproc [shutdown] reboot

If it helps, you should add
	echo -n "shutdown" > /sys/power/disk
to your rc.local script.

Even if it helps, post your results here. People should know.

	Best regards, Dmitry.