[ltp] External video on T61

Homer (Tony) Stavely linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 May 2008 17:54:42 -0400

------=_Part_16558_20980413.1211234082792

Dear John,

Using a T42, a T61, and an X61s in a college classroom with a data projector
of some standard brand, I had it work reliably by doing two things after
connecting the computer to the external monitor (data projector) cable: 1)
turn on the projector and tell it to expect an rgb signal and 2) boot or
reboot my computer.  For some reason, the computer can't see the projector
or the projector can't see the computer except that way.  My other thinkpad
buttons mostly work as they should, but with a running computer hot-plugged
into a projector, running or otherwise, the Fn-F7 button machs nichs. It's a
pain, but that's how it was.

The above was true for Gutsy on the T42 and the T61 and for Hardy on the T61
and X61s.

Best wishes,
Tony

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:22 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I have a T61 with Hardy x86_64, using nVidia driver and a laptop screen
> resolution of 1680 x 1050. All is well.
>
> However, for the first time ever I need to do a presentation in a
> classroom. The classroom is equipped with audiovisual equipment,
> including a Windows XP computer. However, I am having a hell of a time
> getting OpenOffice on Windows to play the presentation that I created
> in OpenOffice on my own computer. At this point it seems preferable to
> use my T61.
>
> The equipment in the classroom provides for input from a laptop
> (standard D9 connector). I connected my computer to the classroom
> equipment, but it cannot see a signal. Then I went to the Audiovisual
> Help office at the university and we tried to connect my laptop. The
> people there are knowledgeable about various computers and how to get
> them to send video signal out, but we could not get it to work.
>
> One of the things the person in the AV office tried was Fn+F7, which he
> said normally toggles the external video on and off. On my T61 it did
> nothing.
>
> I know zero about this matter. Can someone offer me some suggestions?
> --

Homer (Tony) Stavely <tstavely at gmail.com>
Teacher, baker, Grandpa, walker in the woods

------=_Part_16558_20980413.1211234082792

Dear John,<br><br>Using a T42, a T61, and an X61s in a college classroom with a data projector of some standard brand, I had it work reliably by doing two things after connecting the computer to the external monitor (data projector) cable: 1) turn on the projector and tell it to expect an rgb signal and 2) boot or reboot my computer.&nbsp; For some reason, the computer can&#39;t see the projector or the projector can&#39;t see the computer except that way.&nbsp; My other thinkpad buttons mostly work as they should, but with a running computer hot-plugged into a projector, running or otherwise, the Fn-F7 button machs nichs. It&#39;s a pain, but that&#39;s how it was.<br>
resolution of 1680 x 1050. All is well.<br>
However, for the first time ever I need to do a presentation in a<br>
classroom. The classroom is equipped with audiovisual equipment,<br>
including a Windows XP computer. However, I am having a hell of a time<br>
getting OpenOffice on Windows to play the presentation that I created<br>
in OpenOffice on my own computer. At this point it seems preferable to<br>
use my T61.<br>
The equipment in the classroom provides for input from a laptop<br>
(standard D9 connector). I connected my computer to the classroom<br>
equipment, but it cannot see a signal. Then I went to the Audiovisual<br>
Help office at the university and we tried to connect my laptop. The<br>
people there are knowledgeable about various computers and how to get<br>
them to send video signal out, but we could not get it to work.<br>
One of the things the person in the AV office tried was Fn+F7, which he<br>
said normally toggles the external video on and off. On my T61 it did<br>
nothing.<br>
I know zero about this matter. Can someone offer me some suggestions?<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>

------=_Part_16558_20980413.1211234082792--